I’m surprised it has taken me so long to write this post because skincare is probably my favorite topic, ever. I’m obsessed. I guess I was waiting until I had perfected my skin and routine, but to be honest, I’m not sure that’s even possible. Skin is finicky, especially when it’s sensitive like mine. It’ll be clear and smooth for a whole week, then suddenly break out all over, even if I don’t change anything in my routine. This unfortunate pattern has prompted me to pay greater attention to internal factors that could be upsetting my skin–namely diet and hormones. Nevertheless, I still love my topical skincare, and I’ve discovered some amazing products over the years that help keep things in check.
Before I get started, I should just mention one thing. I used to have oily skin and terrible acne, which led me to take Accutane in high school. It cleared up my skin and dried me out quite a bit. That was about 10 years ago. Nowadays, my skin is pretty normal but on the dry side, and as I mentioned, I still get breakouts here and there. Sometimes I worry that my Accutane results are slowly wearing off, but–that’s a topic for another time.
- Cleanser: Athia Daily Facial Cleanser
- Toner: Son & Park Beauty Water (not pictured; I often skip this step)
- Serum: Maelove The Glow Maker Antioxidant Serum
- Moisturizer: Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream
- Sunscreen: Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 (when I need a bit of coverage)
- Cleanser: Athia Daily Facial Cleanser using my Clarisonic Mia with the sensitive brush head
- Toner: True Botanicals Clear Nutrient Toner or Son & Park Beauty Water (on days I wear make-up)
- Serums: The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% followed by The Ordinary Buffet
- Moisturizer: Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream or La Mer Creme de la Mer
I apply a mask 2-3 times a week in the evenings. I like to mix it up depending on what my face needs that day. Below are some of my favorites:
- Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask
- Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment
- Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask
- Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial
The star of the show is definitely The Ordinary’s Niacinamide + Zinc serum–which is crazy because it’s also the cheapest! I highly recommend this product if you struggle with acne, and I’ve heard it’s also good for oily skin. I purchased the True Botanicals toner fairly recently, hoping it would further help with breakouts, but I haven’t noticed much difference. The Athia cleanser is also pretty new, but I’m enjoying it so far. Athia’s products are natural, cruelty-free, and best of all, a portion of every sale supports girls’ scholarships. How cool is that?! If you want to try any of their products, be sure to use my code “stephanie” for a discount. The Creme de la Mer is obviously my biggest splurge. Worth it? Not sure, but I love it anyway. The smell is heavenly, and I feel like a million bucks applying it on my skin.
Have you tried any of these products? I always enjoy learning about and trying new skincare products–let me know if you have any suggestions!
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own.